Week 6 Reflection Blog Post: To Flip or Not to Flip

Is transferring lectures to video and having students view the videos outside of class so they can spend class time working on worksheets and writing papers the true nature of flipping a classroom?  Given the limited scope of the definition I would say no.

Flipping a class is an extremely intriguing concept and I found the assigned materials quite interesting.  Obviously, appealing factors include the increased time for differentiation, student’s active involvement (collaboration), and ability to reach higher orders of critical thinking.  In addition to the material provided in this lesson there is a plethora of information, resources, and support networks available to assist in implementing a flipped classroom.  I was quite impressed with Mrs. Garcia’s 7th grade Pre Algebra site.  Watching a few of her instructional videos it quickly became obvious that a student could easily review the video numerous times to secure concepts they may not readily grasp.  I believe this to be a good pedagogy for many of the reasons stated previously.    What I like most is the ability to provide instant feedback and the avoidance of homework frustration.  Additionally, this construct will allow time to revisit concepts for specific students or groups as required.  I also believe this to be an effective approach to teaching and learning as it allows more time for interactive activities where the students can “do” rather than sitting in a receive mode.

I spent some time thinking about how this could be implemented into my current 3rd grade classroom.  I conducted a web search to locate other 3rd grades classes that have been successfully flipped and stumble onto some videos worth sharing.  The video link below is a You Tube video presented by a teacher who has been teaching math 8th grade for the past 5 years.  She flipped two years ago.  She does an awesome job of describing how she benefits from extensive differentiation time. If you are interest the link is provided below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aGuLuipTwg

At the end of her video it directs you to

https://www.fi.ncsu.edu/project/fizz/

This site is particularly interesting as it discusses flipping a classroom with a focus on Bloom’s Taxonomy.  Dr. Lodge McCammon show a grid that he refers to as the  FIZZ professional development framework.  The grid shows Bloom’s taxonomy on the vertical axis beginning with the lower order thinking skills increasing to the higher order thinking skills.  Above creating, they add publishing as and additional higher order thinking skill.  Along the horizontal axis they indicate learning styles.  The goal is to develop your video lessons incorporating as many learning styles as possible while also addressing the elements of Bloom’s taxonomy.  I see this as a tool that would be extremely valuable in developing effective videos.

How can this approach be implemented effectively in my classroom?  Although I am a big fan we have some obstacles to overcome.  First of all, the third grade team at King George Elementary school is structured where each teacher teaches multiple subjects. Approximately 5% to 10% of my current students do not have a computer at home.  As noted by Katie Gimbar in the video above, she has students without electronic media replay capability in her classroom and has devised a workaround.  Her solution is to have them use school computers at lunch or other opportune times during the day.  Worst case, they can do it at the beginning of the session along with anyone else who did not review the lesson.  She knows who did not do the video lesson because she requires them to take some notes and write a few example problems.  She checks the notes prior to beginning the planned activities.  Using Katie’s proven strategy I believe I could overcome this hurdle.  Another very interesting point she makes in her Penn State session is that for the video to have the full effect it must be produced by the classroom teacher.  Some of her 8th fellow math teachers tried using her videos but the success was marginal.  In the video Katie discusses the teacher, student, parent, connection to her videos and the difficulty connecting to something like a Kahn video that has voice only.  If you have time these videos are worth watching.  I believe flipping is a very proactive approach and I would like to implement it in one of my subjects and if successful flip additional classes.

McCammon, L. Life is too short. Stop repeating yourself. Flip your classroom!.  Retrieved from https://www.fi.ncsu.edu/project/fizz/

Gimbar, K.  Katie Gimbar’s Flipped Classroom – Penn State Skype Session. .  Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dwh5md5Z9U&list=UUHORQ3oNOJltrm99QedpsSA&index=4

Gimbar, K.  Why I flipped my classroom. .  Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aGuLuipTwg

3 Comments

• Wow! Excellent post and I’m impressed with how much thought you have put into implementing this in your own classroom. I get the feeling that flipping an elementary classroom would be more involved than flipping a secondary classroom because you teach multiple subjects (as you pointed out). I think just doing it one subject at a time would be the best approach. As far as students without computers, I agree that that issue can be worked around pretty easily, especially considering how computers are EVERYWHERE.

Nice job, nice post.

• How would you accomodate for the students that do not have access to a computer at home? Or special needs children in your class?

• Great videos. I like how some of the concerns I have had are addressed. Having the students take a few notes or summaries is a great way to make sure they are watching the lectures. Providing time in school for those without technology is also a great tool. I wonder how a student would feel requiring them to do that during their lunch time when they are supposed to be socializing with friends?