Week 5 Reflection Blog Post: Creating a Video

This past week I spent a great deal of time updating my professional website and can begin to see it all coming together.  I still have quite a bit of work to do on consolidating and aligning the data flow but the six modules making up the personal learning network will enhance my ability to effectively network.  Most of these tools are new to me so I think it may be taking longer than normal to get them up and running but as I said earlier I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

For my music video I decided to create a math lesson for my 3rd grade class focused on weight measurements.  Interestingly, I spent more time laying out the structure of the video than I did producing it.  I was quite pleased with the end result given this was my first video production.  I am planning to try it out on my class within the next week or so and I will let you know how it goes.  I was very concerned with the visual content and the timing.  I wanted the video to be quick enough that the students would not wonder but slow enough to allow them to read the entire screen.  For that reason, I minimize the words per page and adjusted the timing accordingly.  What I liked was the ease of production as Animoto was more intuitive than I was expecting.  I think the more you work with this video technology the more efficient and creative you will become.  The fact the video is rather short and intended to stimulate the class makes it easy to apply across all the classes I teach.  I believe using this technology at the beginning of a lesson will be an attention grabber and get the students ready to go.

1 Comment

• I’m interested to find out how your video goes over in an actual classroom! I’m jealous, I wish I had that same platform.

You made a very wise conscious decision to be aware of the duration of your video. Third graders have short attention spans, yes, but so does everyone else. Think of yourself surfing youtube, or when a friend or family member send you a video, don’t you have a “time maximum”? (mine is 5 minutes; if a video is more than 5 minutes long, I won’t watch it). It’s sad, but true. However, it does not necessarily mean we need to skimp on the content we include in our videos. Like Twitter, it just takes the thinking skills to make your message clear and concise. The same point can be made in less time.