INDT 501- Copyrights

Week 3 Reflection Blog Post – Copyright

capital at night

Capital at  Night

Stratton, Jeanne. 20110703_4164_edited-1.jpg. July 2011. Pics4Learning. 1 Feb 2013 http://pics.tech4learning.com

After reviewing the multiple sites, I favored the pics4learning as it was quite easy to navigate and appeared to have good search capabilities.  I decided to look for a famous building in Washington DC so I started out by using the regular search with the key words “Washington DC building” and the listing was quite extensive showing multiple famous buildings.  I then decided I wanted to specifically search for the capital building and did so using the advanced search.  In the advance search I listed “Capital building” and “Washington DC”.  The advanced search returned numerous images of the capital building and I was quite taken by the capital building at night.

The image is free to use by students and teachers as outlined in the “image use” section of the pics4learning (2013) webpage provided below:

The Pics4Learning collection is intended to provide copyright friendly images for use by students and teachers in an educational setting. The original photographers of each image retain the copyright to these images and have graciously allowed their use in this collection. The images may not be sold as an image collection or partial image collection. Images in the Pics4Learning collection may be used by teachers and students in print, multimedia, and video productions. These could include, but are not limited to, school projects, contests, web pages, and fund raising activities for the express purpose of improving student educational opportunities.

As indicated above, Jeanne Stratton, the photographer, retained the copyrights to the image but has granted pics4learning permission to share the image with teachers and students on their website.

As a teacher I believe it is critical to ensure our student know and understand the requirements for using images found on the internet because it is something easily overlooked or not even considered by many of our digital natives.  Many students are under the impression that if it is on the web it is up for grabs. As teachers we can begin to expose the students by ensuring we incorporate proper citations in all of our classroom examples and exercises.  According to Coffman, citing sources is an effective way to model good internet behavior in your classroom (p. 78).  This assignment did spark my interest in copyright so I did a little side research to gain a better understanding.  According to Copyright (2013), copyrights are automatic and do not require the author to file special paperwork although registration is required to enforce the rights.   Once something is created the author has immediate copyrights.  As such, it would appear that if an image found on the web does not clearly indicate it can be used, that image falls under copyright protection and cannot be used.

Learning this information is especially important in elementary schools. Students need to know proper etiquette when using search engines.  As part of internet safety during the school year, our Instructional Technology Liaison provides a lesson in which each student participates in understanding the safety requirements as well as copyright laws when utilizing the internet. Also, each child must sign an Acceptable Use Policy form stating they will follow the school guidelines.

Coffman, T., (2013).  Using inquiry in the classroom.  Lanham, MD, Rowman & Littlefield Education

Copyright, United States Copyright  Office, (2013).  Retrieved from http://www.copyright.gov/

Pics4Learning, (2013).  Retrieved from http://pics.tech4learning.com/

1 Comment

• I like the picture you chose to use, it is a great night shot. I too think that the Pics4Learning website is a great tool to use in our classrooms. It is a good, safe site to start our students on so that they can learn how to properly use images from the internet. It is also a great site to find photos for our lessons that we know we are allowed to use. Great post.